Full name of the project:”Introduction of Best Available Technique (BAT) and Best Environmental Practices (BEP) methodology to demonstrate reduction or elimination of Unintentionally produced Persistent Organic Pollutants (U-POPs) releases from the industry in Vietnam”
Donors: Global Environmental Fund (GEF) with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
Implementing agency: the Industrial Safety Techniques and Environmental Agency (ISEA) – Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT) of Vietnam.
Technical partners: Vietnam Cleaner Production Centre (VNCPC) and Dioxin Laboratory
Implementation duration: Jul/2010 – Jul/2011
Objectives of the project
Overall objective: To establish the required human resources and infrastructure to implement the obligations of the Stockholm Convention in Article 5 “Measures to reduce and eliminate releases from unintentional production” and coordinate its activities with the national strategies on environmental protection, industrial and sustainable development and cleaner production.
- According to the Action Plan, applying BAT and promote BEP in new sources in priority (Part II of Annex C of the Stockholm Convention) source categories by 16 May 2008, and complete dioxin release reduction demonstrations in selected existing sources in the priority sectors by 2010. The sector-wide introduction of BAT/BEP is planned to be completed by 2020.
- Support BAT/BEP projects and define new sources of U-POPs relating to building capacity of monitoring and research on POPs.
Implementation activities and Results
- Training courses on “Introduction of BAT/BEP and Monitoring U-POPs in the Vietnamese industry”
- Compiling 04 technical books on “Introduction of BAT/BEP methodology to reduce the emission of Persistent Organic Pollutants” for 04 selected industry sectors: Metallurgy, Pulp and Paper, Incinerator and Cement Production
- Assessment of RE-CP, BAT/BEP at participating enterprises.
- Introducing local consultants and reports to ISEA and VEA; and coordinating with local and international experts in implementing the project:
- Associate, Prof. Tuong Thi Hoi – Expert on Cement and Incinerator.
- M. Tech. Chu Duc Khai – Expert on Metallurgy.
- Dr. Dang Van Son – Expert on Pulp and Paper productionTS. Đặng Văn Sơn – Chuyên gia ngành sản xuất Giấy và Bột giấy.
- Dr. Kåre Helge Karstensen – International expert on Incinerator
- Dr. Pasquale Spezzan – International expert on Metallurgy.
- Experts and consultants on RE-CP from VNCPC
- Selected enterprises as:
- Luu Xa Steel Factory – Thai Nguyen Iron and Steel Joint Stock Corporation – Metallurgy industry.
- URENCO Bac Son – Hanoi Urban Environment One Member Limited Company (URENCO) – Waste treatment technology (Incinerators)
- Bai Bang Paper Company – Vietnam Paper Coorperation – Pulp and Paper industry sector
- Holcim Vietnam Company – Cement industry sector